July 8, 2020
The government has announced additional funding to improve access to mental health supports for those impacted by MMIWG and the Federal Indian Day Schools Settlement Agreement.
Full Release: https://www.canada.ca/en/indigenous-services-canada/news/2020/07/update-on-mental-wellness-supports-for-those-impacted-by-mmiwg-and-the-federal-indian-day-schools-settlement-agreement.html
• There is an immediate total investment of $17.1 million to enable access to community-based cultural and emotional support services as well as access to mental health counselling.
• $6.4 million will ensure mental wellness services continue for those impacted by MMIWG to help reduce and address the mental and emotional stress associated with recounting experiences of trauma or other triggering experiences.
• $10.6 million will expand access to cultural, emotional, and mental health support services for those affected by the trauma associated with their attendance at any historic Federal Indian Day School including their families.
HOW TO ACCESS SUPPORT
To find out more about or to access health supports for those impacted by Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women and Girls as well the Federal Indian Day Schools, please call the number in your province or territory:
- Atlantic: 1-866-414-8111
- Quebec: 1-877-583-2965
- Ontario: 1-888-301-6426
- Manitoba: 1-866-818-3505
- Saskatchewan: 1-866-250-1529
- Alberta: 1-888-495-6588
- Nunavut, Northwest Territories, and Yukon: 1-866-509-1769
- British Columbia: 1-877-477-0775