- First Nations youth who would normally age out of care during this outbreak will continue to receive the supports they need.
- From at least March 9, 2020 to September 30, 2020, Indigenous Services Canada will continue to cover the eligible maintenance costs to First Nations child and family services agencies who are currently providing services to youth who would normally be aging out of care during this period.
Indigenous Services Canada remains fully committed to supporting First Nations Child and Family Services agencies and communities and ensuring the safety and well being of children. With the outbreak of COVID-19, the Department is responding to urgent needs in a timely and flexible manner. The program has put in place processes to support First Nations agencies and communities addressing emergency concerns and expenses related to the pandemic.
To expand upon the March 17, 2020, email, here is a list of examples of additional costs that may be eligible under the FNCFS Program:
- IT and communications equipment (i.e. laptops, printers, cell phones, tablets)
- Salaries & costs for extra resources as it relates to staff for agencies or BRS helping each other.
- Supplies: for front line; for First Nations communities to assist service providers (like CFS workers) who are visiting homes and interacting with the public; for children (i.e. baby formula, diapers, wipes); cleaning supplies; medical and cleaning supplies for CFS staff.
- Personal protective equipment (PPE).
- Emergency food support..
- Child care for services providers/caregivers.
- Communications expenses such as translation.
- Temporary lodging.
- Possible foster parents/group homes requests.
- Interim emergency assistance to First Nations to assist them with their planning.
For specific information, contact your regional ISC representative.
For general information on COVID-19, please visit the Government of Canada’s website.
Support is also available should you wish to speak to a mental health counsellor and you can contact the toll-free Help Line at 1-855-242-3310, connect to the online chat at https://www.hopeforwellness.ca or visit https://www.sac-isc.gc.ca/eng/1576089519527/1576089566478 for more information.
It is our understanding that there is no “new” funding specific to youth aging out over and above the previous announcements, the funding will simply flow through the existing arrangements for the period of March 9 to September 30.