Ornge is closely monitoring the COVID-19 pandemic recently declared by the World Health Organization (WHO). We are taking all appropriate precautions where needed with the safety of our staff and patients at the forefront. While we work through this extraordinary event, we wanted to assure you as a front end user of Ornge services that we remain a committed partner in providing all communities with safe transportation and access to healthcare which is not available locally. In order to continue providing our patients and communities with safe transportation, we are making some changes to our operation, specifically where it relates to non-essential patient escorts.
Until further notice, patient escorts will be limited to the following:
- A parent accompanying a child (under 18 years of age);
- An escort who is providing clinical care for a patient (medical escort);
- A patient interpreter, designated by the sending facility;
- A family member who has no alternate means of travelling to the patient’s destination (no roads).
In addition, all approved escorts will be screened for COVID-19, using the Provincial Transfer
Authorization Centre (PTAC) screening questions which are included below:
- Has the person received public health or medical advice to self-monitor or self-isolate?
- Is the person presenting with fever, or new onset of cough, or difficulty breathing?
AND (any of the following)
- Has the person travelled outside of Canada in the past 14 days? OR
- Did the person have close contact with a confirmed or probable case of COVID-19? OR
- Did the person have close contact with anyone with acute respiratory illness who has travelled
outside of Canada in the past 14 days?
Should an escort fail the screening procedure, they will not be permitted to board the aircraft and an alternate escort will need to be sourced.
These temporary measures are being implemented to protect the patient, community and all Ornge crew members. They are subject to change depending on the evolving circumstances in responding to COVID-19. We sincerely thank you for your understanding.
Download the statement here: